Edna Hospital announces two job openings. Details are available in the two Acrobat (PDF) files linked below.
- Lectureship in Medical Laboratory Technology
*Application date extended. Please submit your application by October 1, 2014.
The Edna Adan University is an institute of higher learning located in Hargeisa, Somaliland, serving Somaliland and the Horn of Africa region. The university is affiliated with the Edna Adan Hospital. Together, these two institutions are dedicated to training the next generation of health care professionals and to improving the health and welfare of the people of Somaliland.
We at Edna Adan University understand that education is the cornerstone of good health. All our students are required to take foundational courses in Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Islamic Studies and English. Upon completion, students pursue degree programmes in Nursing, Midwifery, Laboratory Technology, Pharmacology, Public Health, Anesthesia or Dental Technology.
The university is an equal opportunity institution. Women and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Edna Adan University Hospital in Hargeisa, Somaliland, has job openings in two areas, as described below.
1) We are looking for an experienced Manager who will be responsible for the hospital’s new Intravenous Fluids Production Plant and who would be required to be on-board as soon as possible for the procurement of the machinery and their installation.
- Specific requirements would be qualification in Pharmacology/Chemistry/Laboratory, or related field, but previous experience in I.V. Fluid production is a must.
- Should be computer literate and fluent in English.
- Minimum contract would be for two years with possible extension.
2. We are also inviting applications from qualified and experienced medical doctors who have experience in the training and supervision of medical students; as well as trainers of Nurses, Midwives, Pharmacists, Laboratory Technicians and Radiographers.
* In addition to full accommodation, transportation and annual leave, annual salary and benefits would be dependent on qualifications and experience.
Application with letters of reference and scanned copy of qualifications can be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed applicants will receive a reply.
Edna Adan University is looking for a qualified applicant for the position of Faculty of Nursing/ Midwifery & Public Health Dean in Hargeisa, Somaliland
The applicant will be expected to be the executive head of the faculty concerned acting as the academic leader; s/he will be responsible for creating and implementing faculty strategic goals.
The successful applicant will be responsible for planning, coordination, implementation and evaluation of faculty programs and services.
Those interested should email a two page CV with a one page post specific statement of their suitability and also provide 3 references, including a recommendation letter from their line manager, and copies of their certificates to ednaadanuniversity /at/ gmail.com
Download PDF file
Requirements for the Faculty Dean position:
1. Minimum Master Degree in the respective Faculty with a strong related understanding of contemporary research and knowledge.
2. Extensive teaching and managing experience in a Higher Academic institution of at least 3 years.
3. Publications in the respective faculty and related literature in areas relevant to the vision, mission and goals of the Edna Adan University.
4. Appropriate leadership, managerial skills and experience in the academic areas of the related faculty.
5. Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
6. Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations.
7. Ability to relate to and motivate staff effectively.
8. Excellent knowledge, skills and experience in verbal and written communication, in English language.
9. Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
10. High Integrity/ethics and the ability to meet the deadlines.
11. Excellent command of computer application skills.
Deadline for applications: 8th Feb, 2013
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Edna Adan Maternity Hospital (EAH), University of Hargeisa and THET have a vacancy for a full time Lead tutor to head and implement the first BSc in Midwifery in Somaliland’s history.
The EAH, located in Hargeisa, Somaliland, is a non-profit charity community hospital built by the Hospital Director and founder Edna Adan Ismail. The hospital is the main teaching institution in country for midwifery with a history of training community and post basic midwives. Since declaring independence in 1991 Somaliland has suffered many of the problems associated with post conflict including a critical shortage of health professionals. This rewarding position offers a unique opportunity to be involved in the development of human and institutional capacity, crucial for the rebuilding of the health system in Somaliland.
The post holder will lead the implementation of a high quality BSc Midwifery Programme for qualified midwives, the first BSc level Midwifery course to be run in Somaliland. In consultation with EAH and the UOH s/he will take overall responsibility for the delivery and evaluation of the course. As the course lead, s/he will be responsible for planning the teaching programme; supervising course tutors (including short term international technical support) and ensuring effective mentorship of the students.
- Practicing midwife and registered in own country
- University graduate, educated at least to Master’s Level
- Education qualification or proven extensive experience of midwifery teaching at BSc level, with strong clinical and theory skills
- Fluent English speaker (the course will be delivered 100% in English)
- Strong research skills
- Strong IT skills – word, power point and excel
- Able to work independently
- Innovative and adaptable, able to work effectively in a resource constrained environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to communicate and collaborate effectively with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Substantial developing country work experience, preferably North / north-east Africa or sub-Sahara
To apply, please send a CV and a one page covering letter to Rachael Coker, THET, 1 Wimpole Street, London, W1G 0AE or by email to:
Closing date for applications is 31st December 2010
Interviews mid January 2011
Nicholas Kristof, the Pulitzer Prize winning columnist at the New York Times, writing in a new blog entry has again cited Edna Adan as being someone whom he “hugely” admires.
“I’ve often recommended that young people go and live abroad for a time, the better to understand the world – and also the better to see their own country. Somaliland is a wonderful little country, and I can’t imagine a more remarkable experience than spending a year teaching at Edna’s hospital. “
Read the Complete Article:
When Aid Harms
Mr. Kristof’s article, When Aid Harms, is written in response to the following message to him from Edna.
“I am writing to you in desperation because we have lost ten of our best qualified nurses and midwives to International NGOs who do not support us during the training but who snatch the best from us with salary offers that we cannot match. Somehow, we seem to have become victims of our success because our nurses are the best in the country.
“We train four times what our hospital needs but still cannot cover the demand for good and responsible nurses. My greatest need is for Nurse/Midwife trainers for the next couple of years so that I can get the current 70 students in training graduated. We would welcome Interns to teach English, basic Sciences, and if possible, Nursing subjects. We are also willing to pay a salary of $800 a month plus food and accommodation to qualified midwife trainers, as well as the air ticket.”