Although our hospital mainly focuses on addressing the health of women and children, we also look after other patients who suffer from various health problems and who have either come to us directly for treatment, or who have been referred to us from another health facility. In addition to looking after the sick, we are a teaching hospital where nurses, midwives, laboratory technicians and pharmacists are trained. Recently, and in an effort to alleviate poverty among literate women, we have started a six-month secretarial course. Also on clinical rotation are medical students who are sent to us by their medical school for practical experience.
Overview of the Hospital Environment
- Patients are accommodated in rooms of different sizes to meet the needs of patients with different economic levels. There are rooms with four beds, rooms with three beds and some with two beds. All rooms have bathrooms and toilet facilities attached. All patients are provided with full meals throughout their stay in the hospital.
- Babies are accommodated with their mother, as the Hospital is in support of the Baby Friendly Concept. The OPV0 and BCG vaccines are given before discharge. All other types of child immunizations and TT are administered at our antenatal and well-baby clinics.
- Premature babies and those that need special medical attention are cared for in a suitably equipped Intensive Care Unit with Oxygen and Incubator facilities.
- The Hospital has a Labour observation room and delivery room, so that patients can be provided with the necessary supervision and care during all stages of the childbirth process.
- To prevent the risk of infection to patients, all Surgical Instruments, as well as those used for dressings, are sterilized in a Central Sterilization facility staffed by suitably trained technicians.
- Delivery of the newborn is carried out under strict aseptic conditions and by qualified personnel.
- At all times, qualified medical and midwifery personnel monitor Maternal and Foetal conditions with an ultrasound.
- The Hospital has an Operating Theatre and provides surgical facilities for emergency obstetrical interventions at all times. Gynaecological operations and other routine general surgical operations are carried out by appointment.
- The Hospital has the capability of providing general, spinal and local anaesthesia facilities.
- The Hospital has Post-Operative observation and Intensive Care facilities.